Focus Stacker Overview
Focus Stacker takes the guesswork out of focus stacking. And it brings the technique of focus stacking out of the realm of macro photography — Focus Stacker is specifically designed for landscape and architectural photographers who are after insane sharpness over a great depth.
Focus stacking is a technique in which you take multiple shots of the same scene—each shot focused at a different distance—and then combine them in focus stacking software to create a sharp image over much greater depth than would be possible with a single shot.
The software for stacking photos is simple and easy to use. But what about the process of taking the shots? How many shots should you take? On what distances should you focus? And what is the best aperture to use? This is where FocusStacker comes in, making guesswork a thing of the past. For the particular image sharpness standard that you specify, FocusStacker determines exactly what you need to know: the minimum number of shots to take, the distances to focus on, and the aperture to use.
FocusStacker is designed for use in landscape and architectural photography. In its speed, elegance and accuracy, it fits the needs of professional photographers, who’ll be happy to know that at its heart lies the sophisticated optimization algorithm originally developed for the OptimumCS-Pro app, adapted here to the taking of multiple shots. Yet it’s so easy to use that anyone can have a go at focus stacking.
1) FocusStacker is NOT designed for and is NOT suitable for close-up or macro photography.
2) For quality focus stacking software, try Zerene Stacker.
3) You’ll need a camera that enables you to manually adjust focus and aperture, and a way to measure distance (e.g. a distance scale on a lens, or a camera that reads out focus distance, or a laser rangefinder, etc). And you’ll need a tripod.
4) FocusStacker is a calculating tool—it does not access or use the iPhone's or iPad's built-in camera.
5) Please be aware that focus stacking is best suited to static subjects.
✓ Quickly and easily enter the data that matters: lens focal length and the near and far distance extremes
✓ You deside how sharp you want your image to be
✓ Everything you need to achieve your goals is instantly displayed: How many shots to take, what aperture to use, and where to focus
✓ Enjoy a large range of customisation options, ease of use features and contextual help
✓ Feel confident knowing that’s it’s all based on solid, empirically tested optical science